Spring 2022 applications are open for online programs!
Spring 2022 Applications are open as of September 15, 2021
Application Deadline Information for Spring 2022:
October 15, 2021 - 1st Priority deadline. Submit by October 15th, 2021 at 11:59pm PT for guaranteed review. After this date, some programs may be full and only interview for waitlist spots or not be able to further review applications.
Please note only the online program has a spring start - not the hybrid track.
Apply now at apply.ciis.edu/apply
Please follow the steps below to apply today! Visit Applying to CIIS for application deadlines and additional information.
Step 1: Online Application
Begin by submitting your online application. Please note that there is a $65, non-refundable application fee.
Step 2: Official Transcripts
Applicants must submit official transcripts from all accredited academic institutions attended. If not sent electronically, transcripts must arrive in their official, sealed envelopes. Transcripts can be mailed to 1453 Mission Street. San Francisco, CA 94103.
To be eligible for admissions, applicants must have completed a minimum of 54 transferable semester units. General education requirements are designed to give you a broad background in various disciplines. Learn more about what constitutes transferable units.
General Educations Requirements: The completion of the following fields is not a prerequisite to enter the program, but rather an assessment of general education requirements necessary for graduation. We encourage you to meet as many of these requirements before entering the program, however, if you are lacking units, often you'll be able to take them as elective courses while enrolled in the program at CIIS.
- 3 units of college level math
- 9 units of humanities and art
- 6 units of natural sciences
- 6 units of expository writing
- 9 units of social sciences
- 3 units of oral communications
If you are uncertain about your eligibility, you can email your unofficial transcripts to School of Undergraduate Studies for an unofficial transcript evaluation at email@example.com
International Student Requirements
- English Language Proficiency Test Report
Applicants for whom English is not their native language are required to submit an English language proficiency score. Exceptions are made for students who have earned their Bachelor of Arts degree from English language universities. Admission to CIIS requires a minimum score for one of the following exams:
- TOEFL: 80 test score.
TOEFL is an Internet-based test. The CIIS TOEFL code is 4807. Visit the TOEFL website.
- IELTS 6.0 band score
Visit the IELTS website
- International Credential Evaluation
For students with an international academic history, please follow these steps for your foreign credential evaluation (e.g. WES – World Education Services):
- Please provide your complete and entire academic history on the application form.
- For credits earned outside of the United States or Canada, we will need a foreign credential evaluation. You, the applicant, need to initiate and request this, at your own expense, through a CIIS-approved foreign credential evaluation provider.
- CIIS favors foreign credential evaluations provided by WES – World Education Services, and specifically the course-by-course-report.CIIS accepts the WES 'Basic' report, but applicants may wish to complete the 'ICAP'.
- CIIS will also accept foreign credential evaluations that are in a comprehensive course-by-course formatfrom the current members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
- The foreign credential evaluation is used in lieu of sending original transcripts from abroad to CIIS. Original or notarized copies of the transcripts should only be sent to the foreign credential provider, per the foreign credential provider's instructions; there is no need to send these to CIIS!
- If you have studied abroad as part of credits received in the United States or Canada (i.e. transfer credits from abroad), no WES evaluation is needed - provided these units are showing on your US/Canadian transcript. If you wish to receive transfer units for any courses earned outside of the United States/Canada that are not showing on a US/Canadian transcript, we do need a foreign credential evaluation for these courses.
Step 3: Admissions Essay
Submit an essay (five to seven pages typed, double-spaced) that incorporates discussion of the following:
- How the Bachelor of Arts Completion program (BAC) is a good fit for you.
- Experiences that shaped your desire to return to college now.
- Your interest in majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies.
- Experiences that have prepared you to work in a collaborative learning community.
- Your goals and expectations for yourself in the program.
Step 4: One Letter of Recommendation
One letter of recommendation from someone who can speak to your academic abilities or preparedness (preferred), or your work/professional experience. The letter should not be from a close friend, family member, or therapist.
Pre- Admissions Interview
Once the office of admissions receives a complete application, successful candidates will go onto faculty review (you will receive an email when this happens). At that point, the department will contact you for an interview if they find you a viable candidate. Please allow 2-3 weeks time for faculty to contact you to schedule an interview.
Undergraduate Single Parents Scholarship
In line with CIIS's deep commitment to diversity, inclusion, and advocating social justice, the university is offering four $2,500 scholarships to newly admitted undergraduate students that identify as a single parent of a dependent child, for the academic year 2020-2021. To apply for the fall 2020 semester, submit an application by March 15, 2020.
Diversity Scholarship for School Year 2021-2022.
CIIS is a university deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and advocating for social justice. The university, guided by these principles, will disburse forty-six $5,000 Diversity Scholarships for the academic year 2021-2022. In line with our institutional mission of embracing traditions that enhance social and political liberation, these scholarships are intended to support the recruitment of a diverse student body, particularly students historically underrepresented in higher education. The Diversity Scholarship priority application deadline for Fall 2021 was July 15, 2021 at 8:59pm PT.
Since the Fall 2021 deadline has passed, please check back in September for the application deadline for students applying to start a new degree program in Spring 2022.
Questions? Contact us.
We are here to help! If you are encountering any troubles with registering for an event or applying to a program, please contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will do our best to assist with any needs during business hours, 9am-5pm PST.