The Climate Psychology in Therapeutic Practices Certificate (CPTPC) at CIIS will launch in fall 2022. Applications are set to open in summer 2022. Subscribe to our newsletter below to stay informed!
CPTPC will be delivered as live synchronous learning via Zoom over five weekends. This certification serves an unmet need for additional psychological training and skills to competently and innovatively address the growing mental health impacts of the climate emergency. Utilizing an integrative and robust framework that includes multiple behavioral science approaches and philosophies, as well as a view into the broken systemic legacies from which painful eco-emotional conditions arise, climate psychology is adaptable to various therapeutic orientations.
The primary focus of the program is to provide training that can be incorporated into clinical practice for working therapeutically with the lived experiences of eco-anxiety, eco-grief, and many expressions of climate-invoked dread. Participants will learn about:
- Immediate mental health impacts of climate related disasters.
- Long term stress of living with the reality of climate change over time.
- Trauma-informed therapeutic and emotional resiliency skills with ways of motivating effective action.
- Existential dilemmas that come into the therapy room, such as whether to have a family, move out of a geographical area to avoid climate related disasters, kinship breakdown, and more generally, how to navigate one’s own future with escalating threats.
Types of professionals for whom this program applies include:
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors (LPCC)
- Marriage and Family Therapists (MFT)
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW)
- Clinical and Counseling Psychologists (PsyD)
- Psychiatrists and Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners (MD & NP)
- Allied professionals who work within the therapeutic frame
About CIIS Public Programs
CIIS Public Programs produces events and continuing education opportunities for people who are curious about themselves and the world. Our programs and podcast further personal and social transformation by bringing together the diverse voices of visionaries, artists, and scholars to share compelling experiences, offer new perspectives, and expand creative horizons. Public Programs enhances and reflects the academic mission of California Institute of Integral Studies.
CIIS Public Programs is committed to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for all individuals across differences of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio-economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, and/or medical condition. Through our programming, we strive to amplify the voices of those who have historically been under-represented. We commit to use our in-person and online platforms to uplift the stories and teachings of black, indigenous, and other people of color; those in the LGBTQIA+ community; and all those whose lives emerge from the intersections of multiple identities.