The MFA in Interdisciplinary Arts and Writing at CIIS is a two-year, 39-unit, primarily online degree program with two six-day intensives in San Francisco.
Students attend six-day intensives twice a year (Fall and Spring semesters) and continue the learning experience online the remainder of the semester. The intensives include building relationships with cohort members and the MFA community, attendance in coursework, visits to Bay Area art events or organizations, and opportunities to learn from guest artists through short workshops, readings, talks, and panel discussions.
Fall 2022: Friday, September 30 through Wednesday, October 5
Spring 2023: Friday, January 27 through Wednesday, February 1
The primarily online MFA degree includes the following:
- In-person intensives (Fall and Spring semesters)
- Individualized sessions with faculty advisers and art mentors
- Interdisciplinary conversation across the arts through workshops and online work
- A focus on multicultural and global perspectives on art making
- Exploration of inquiry as a vital skill in development of artwork and the artist
- International Summer intensives (for degree credit)
- Articulating an arts context, including one’s relationship to social, spiritual, and/or artistic movements as well as diverse cultural, gender, political, and global perspectives
- Creating a significant writing, art, or inter-arts project and opportunities to present one’s art through MFA semester showings
Course of Study
Sample Course of Study for a Fall start (39 units total)