Fall 2023 applications opened on November 15th
January 15th, 2023 - 1st deadline for the Drama Therapy program.
February 15th, 2023 - 1st priority deadline for all other programs.
March 15th, 2023 - 2nd priority deadline for all programs with space still available.
April 15th, 2023 - 3rd priority deadline for all programs with space still available.
May 15th, 2023 - 4th priority deadline for all programs with space still available.
Prospective students will need to submit the following materials:
Online Admissions Application: Begin the application process by submitting an online application and paying the non-refundable $65 application fee.
Degree Requirement: An undergraduate degree (B.A., B.S., or BFA) from an accredited college or university.
Minimum GPA: A GPA of 3.0 or higher in previous coursework is required. A GPA below 3.0 does not automatically disqualify an applicant. CIIS will consider a prospective student whose GPA is between 2.0 and 3.0. These individuals are required to submit a GPA Statement and are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions to discuss their options.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from all accredited academic institutions attended where 7 or more credits have been earned. If transcripts are being mailed to CIIS, they must arrive in their official, sealed envelopes. Transcripts from institutions outside the US or Canada require a foreign credit evaluation through World Education Services (WES); CIIS will also accept foreign credential evaluations that are in a comprehensive course-by-course format from the current members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
Short Essay Responses: Please write a series of brief responses, one for each of the following prompts in the order that they appear:
- Why are you interested in applying to CIIS specifically to study Expressive Arts Therapy? (350 words maximum)
- Describe the creative arts modalities you would bring with you into the Expressive Arts Therapy program. (350 word maximum)
- Please describe the direct human services experiences you have had in either employment and/or through volunteering. (200 word maximum)
- What internal and external strengths and resources do you draw from to help you cope in your daily life? What social supports does this include? (200 word maximum)
- Our graduates are expected to be able to work with people from very diverse social, cultural, sexual/affectional preference, gender and socioeconomic backgrounds. What is your experience of relating across dimensions of difference? (200 word maximum)
- The low-residency program requires a high level of self-directed, autonomous work in addition to the ability to work in groups. Please describe your experience in: a.) working individually, and b.) working collaboratively in a group to meet a deadline. (200 word maximum)
- Due to the hybridized nature of our education delivery format, students must demonstrate the ability to work with/navigate online learning formats. Please describe a challenge you have encountered in working in an online learning environment and how you overcame (or imagine overcoming) the challenge. (200 word maximum)
Two Letters of Recommendation: Letters of recommendation will be accepted from academic advisors, professors, professional supervisors, or someone able to attest to your ability to undertake the work required for your program. Recommenders should use standard business format and include full contact information - name, email, phone number, and mailing address.
Academic Writing Sample: A five-page sample of a piece of your academic writing (typed, double-spaced) that demonstrates your capacity to think critically and reflectively and demonstrates graduate-level writing abilities. You may submit copies of previous work, such as a recent academic paper, article, or report that reflects scholarly abilities. The selected sample must be five consecutive pages. A sample that uses outside sources must include proper citations. Please include the reference pages from this writing sample. (The reference pages are not included in the five-page limit.)
A Current Curriculum Vitae detailing your educational and professional experience.
Questions? Contact us.
We are here to help! If you have any questions about applying to a program or registering for an Info Session, please reach out to the Admissions Office.