- February 22, 2020
- 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
California Institute of Integral Studies
1453 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Registration - $165
Members - $132
6 Continuing Education Credits Available for psychologists, California licensed LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs, LMFTs, and nurses. See below for details.
Shame is perhaps the most painful of all emotions. It is at the root of both the inner critic and perfectionism. It binds with and hides behind other emotions, such as anger and fear, so that it is often hard to detect. Many people go to great lengths to avoid acknowledging or even feeling shame—and this gets in the way of personal growth.
Shame is at the heart of depression, trauma, addiction, eating disorders and substance abuse. What keeps these psychological issues in place is toxic shame. Shame can freeze our thinking and bind with other emotions to hijack our system. We heal shame through witnessing, mirroring, and understanding.
Join Marriage and Family Therapist, Registered Drama Therapist, and Board Certified Trainer Sheila Rubin, for an introductory workshop on healing shame. Sheila provides a supportive container for exploring the difference between toxic shame and healthy shame and includes exercises for stepping out of shame and into dignity and power. Through a mix of lecture, demonstration, and experiential learning, participants learn the subtle and not so subtle ways shame shows up and how to work with it.
Explore the shame continuum that includes shyness, social anxiety, feeling like an outsider, imposter syndrome, the inner critic, and humiliation. Discover how to build resilience, life force, and to feel an embodied state of true power.
Whether you are an individual, or a clinician, this workshop helps you understand this mysterious emotion and provides tools for you to gently work through and heal shame.
Sheila Rubin, MA, LMFT, RDT/BCT is Co-Director of the Center for Healing Shame in Berkeley and a leading authority on Healing Shame. Sheila co-created the Healing Shame - Lyon/Rubin method and has delivered talks, presentations and workshops across the country and around the world, at conferences from Canada to Romania, for over 30 years.
Sheila is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, a Registered Drama Therapist and a Board Certified Trainer. Sheila has developed therapy techniques that integrate AEDP, EFT, drama therapy and somatic therapy to work with the all-pervasive shame and trauma that underlie eating disorders, addictions and toxic family dynamics. Sheila has served as adjunct faculty at JFK University and the California Institute of Integral Studies. Sheila’s expertise, teaching, and writing contributions have been featured in numerous publications, including six books. Sheila attended the Drama Therapy Program at CIIS.
Sheila offers therapy through her private practice in Berkeley and offers consultation to therapists over Skype. Learn more about Sheila at www.SheilaRubin.com Sheila's Photo Taken By Lea Delson
CIIS students, staff, and faculty receive discounts on all events. CIIS Public Programs Members receive a 20% discount on all events. Contact us for more information at email@example.com. Please note that we will check your ID for proof of eligibility on arrival at event.
Continuing Education Credits: 6 CEs Available:
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- SCRC is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California.
- For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance, contact CIIS Public Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about CE, visit www.spiritualcompetency.com or contact David Lukoff, PhD at CE@spiritualcompetency.com.
- LCSWs and MFTs from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board for approval.