- June 5-6, 2021
- 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Online (Check-In Begins at 9:45 am U.S. Pacific)
This workshop is being hosted live online only and will not be recorded to maintain the privacy of all attendees. Instructions on how to join will be emailed to registrants shortly before the workshop start date.
If you need to request accessibility accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to the workshop start date. For more information, explore our Frequently Asked Questions.
6 Continuing Education Credits available - see below for details.
Some organized religions developed around controlling and subduing our bodies and emotions in order to grow spiritually. Embodied spirituality connects our physical bodies with our spiritual selves. Many practices within major religions, yoga, meditation, contemplation, and nature-based spirituality can be included in the broader framework of embodied spirituality. Embodied spirituality embraces the awakened body, emotional awareness, relationship, sexuality, family life, and political activism. But how do we go through the body to discover spiritual connection?
Join Susan Aposhyan for an introduction to embodied spiritual practices and a deep exploration of the profundity that occurs when dedicated spiritual practice includes the body. Susan’s work is grounded in the belief that our bodily experience, our emotional and psychological healing and development, and our spiritual path are all inseparable from each other and unique to each of us. Drawing upon decades of working with meditation, psychology, yoga, and Body-Mind Centering, Susan guides participants into the territory of embodied spirituality, spanning psychology and spirituality, development and healing, body and mind, the individual and the universe.
We are in the habit of coming into unfamiliar territory in the body, giving ourselves directives such as “Open up, release, soften,” but Susan invites us to try coming to the body and asking, “What are your customs? How do you live here? What can you teach me?”
In this workshop participants learn Susan’s embodied spirituality practices including Embodiment Practice, Interaction Cycle, and embodied meditation. Building on experiences throughout the weekend, participants explore the fruition of spiritual practice and the embodied spirituality practices of dynamic awareness and full awareness—integrating physical expression, psychological healing, relational connection, and spiritual liberation.
Susan Aposhyan has spent the last several decades practicing and teaching her work, Body-Mind Psychotherapy, as well as meditation, embodied spirituality, and Body-Mind Centering®. She is the author of Body-Mind Psychotherapy (Norton, 2004) and Natural Intelligence: Body-Mind Integration and Human Development (available through www.susanaposhyan.com). Her most recent book, Heart Open, Body Awake: Four Steps to Embodied Spirituality, is due out this summer through Shambhala Publications.
6 Continuing Education Credits Available for psychologists, California licensed LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs, LMFTs, and nurses. See below for details.
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- LCSWs, MFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- SCRC is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California.
- SCA is an approved CE provider for National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coaches (CEP Number 100196).
- For questions about enrolling in CE or receiving your Certificate of Attendance, contact us at email@example.com.
- For other questions about CE contact David Lukoff, PhD at CE@spiritualcompetency.com.
CIIS students, staff, and faculty receive discounts on all events. CIIS Public Programs Members receive a 20% discount on all events. Contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.