What is Practicum?
The Master's in Counseling Psychology (MCP) Field Placement Office supports the clinical training component of the Master of Counseling Psychology Program, which specializes in Community Mental Health, Drama Therapy, Expressive Arts Therapy, Integral Counseling Psychology, or Somatic Psychology.
One year of approved clinical fieldwork experience (practicum), or the equivalent of six semester units, are required as a part of each student's degree program.
The MCP Field Placement Office assists students, faculty, and staff in identifying clinical field placements that are appropriate to academic program requirements, mandates of the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS), and students' individual educational goals and interests.
The MCP Field Placement Office has approved more than 200 sites throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond, where students serve as trainees working with diverse populations in settings that include mental health clinics, hospitals, schools, and a variety of clinical social service settings.All of the masters in counseling programs at CIIS provide the coursework leading to MFT license eligibility.
Since 2012, CIIS has provided all MCP students the option to pursue the additional coursework in preparation for LPCC licensure.
For information about licensure for our MA in Counseling Psychology programs please contact Dr. Nicolle Zapien at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Placement at CIIS Counseling Centers
In addition, our five Counseling Centers serve as potential field placement sites for master's-level students in practicum and under the supervision of licensed supervisors and faculties.
The MCP Field Placement Office supports students in the process of practicum exploration and decision making. The practicum year is a vital and rigorous experience requiring coordination among many CIIS and site partnerships. These include:
- Fulfill program prerequisites for practicum; become program approved.
- Identify appropriate and approved practicum sites.
- Apply, interview, and be accepted by an approved practicum site. Students are encouraged to apply to at least six practicum sites. Application is competitive.
- Complete and file appropriate CIIS paperwork. This includes the Supervised Fieldwork Agreement AND registering for EITHER a CIIS group supervision/case conference/proseminar class OR a CIIS approved individual supervision. Each program determines which supervision method is appropriate. Note that two separate pieces of paperwork must be complete and filed in order for practicum registration to be complete; the Supervised Fieldwork Agreement is filed with the Field Placement Office and the supervision registration is filed with the Registrar's Office.
- As practicum begins, and throughout the practicum year, complete and have supervisors sign required BBS paperwork.
- Register for CIIS supervision during each semester of practicum.
- Supervised Fieldwork Agreements are filed in this office. Placement evaluations are coordinated by this office. Hard copies of the Field Placement database practicum sites and CIIS and BBS forms are available outside this office.
The database also is accessible via myCIIS. CIIS and BBS forms are also listed below. The BBS website also contains forms and important publications for Marriage and Family Therapists in training, as well as their supervisors and faculties.
Practicum Fair and Workshops
The MCP Field Placement Office holds Practicum Information Workshops during the Fall and Spring semesters. An annual Practicum Fair is held each December. Group and individual consultation, resume review and practicum interview preparation are available by appointment.