Cindy Shearer, DA, is the founding director for the MFA programs at CIIS. She serves as Department Chair, Interdisciplinary Arts and Professor in the MFA in Interdisciplinary Arts and Writing. Previously at CIIS, she served as director of the PhD in Humanities (Individualized Pathway) and as a faculty member in the Bachelor of Arts Completion Program. She has a Doctor of Arts (DA) in English from the State University of New York at Albany and studied at the Antioch Centre for British Studies (London England), earning a creative writing MA from Antioch Univeristy. A writer, text/image artist, and curator, she practices and teaches writing as art, a process she writes “reconfigures the boundaries of writing and visual art.” In 2001, she created Ten Not-So-Tangible Tools for Writers, a meditation on the writing process in text and image. Cindy has also worked extensively as a workshop leader, developmental editor, consultant, and writing coach.
- “Dementia Moment” Mission at Tenth, Best of Issue (Volume 8), https://www.missionattenth.com/work/dementia-moment
- “The Art of Image: Seeing the Way Home,” in M. Garbutt & N. Roenpagel (Eds.) & A. Rourke and V. Rees (Series Curators), The mindful eye: Contemplative pedagogies in visual arts education. Transformative pedagogies in the visual domain: Book No. 3.
- “The Art of Being, Why the Inter-arts Matter for Writers,” Exploring Creative Writing: Voices from the Great Writing International Creative Writing Conference, CSP Publishers
Sample Talks and Podcasts
- Art as Inquiry, https://www.ciispod.com/cindy-shearer
- Meaning Making, https://www.missionattenth.com/meaning-making/cindy-shearer