Due to the recent announcement that CIIS’ Board of Trustees has made the difficult decision to close ACTCM, we regret that we will no longer be accepting new students.
To honor the commitment and investment of current students, faculty, and staff, ACTCM will pursue options for a teach-out, supporting currently enrolled students in completing their degree within a designated timeframe. Each student will be individually advised of their best path forward.
ACTCM has been at the forefront of acupuncture and Chinese medical education since its inception in 1980, offering first professional and postgraduate degrees in acupuncture and Chinese medicine. Through their course of study, students have studied with esteemed faculty and practiced hands-on care in our innovative acupuncture clinic and on-site herb garden. Our programs have provided a truly exceptional professional education in the acupuncture and Chinese medicine field.
While the upcoming closure of ACTCM deeply saddens our community, we are confident that the Medicine and amazing work of faculty, students, and alumni will continue to benefit our local and global community.
Master of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine (MSTCM)
The Master of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine (MSTCM) is a comprehensive program designed to lead students to the level of knowledge and clinical proficiency necessary to become a successful independent health care provider-whether as an individual practitioner or as part of an integrative medicine team.
ACTCM students learn how to apply ancient wisdom to modern healthcare practices. Chinese Medicine is a medical system that has been used for thousands of years to prevent, diagnose, and treat disease. It is based on the belief that Qi (the body's vital energy) flows along meridians (channels) in the body and keeps a person's physical, spiritual, emotional and mental health in balance.
Traditional Chinese Medicine includes acupuncture, diet, herbal therapy, meditation, massage and physical exercise.
- Clinical Education Students have the opportunity to intern at ACTCM's onsite Acupuncture & Herbal Clinic, Auricular Clinic and several specialized clinical sites in the Bay area which include community health clinics, academic medical centers, hospitals and more.
- Herbal Education Our herbal program is one of the most comprehensive in the country, with education in herbal theory, identification and function of more than 500 herbs. On campus, students have access to the herbal lab/clinic and student-run herbal garden containing over 150 types of herbs and plants that hail from China, Japan, Korea, Europe and North and South America, allowing for extensive learning grounds for students.
- World Renowned Faculty Faculty consists of both Western and Eastern-trained practitioners who have experience working in integrative medicine and holds the understanding necessary for dealing with the health problems of today's modern society.
- Study Abroad in China The 2-week study abroad program in China provides a strong foundation in TCM theory, differential diagnosis and treatment skills. Students train in a hospital in-patient setting and an out-patient clinic, and may concentrate on acupuncture, herbal medicine or a combination of both.
- Student Resources ACTCM provides a student-mentorship program, tutoring, weekly lunch presentations, ACTCM scholarships, one of the largest TCM library collections, and career workshops to aid in student success both in school and in practice after graduation.
- Life in San Francisco! ACTCM is located in a world class city that continually ranks as one of the happiest, healthiest and most progressive cities in America.
ACTCM at CIIS also offers a First Professional Doctorate in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine (DACM).
ACTCM student Remington Bain first knew he wanted to be a healer when he saw a fellow service member become seriously injured while in the Marines. Hear about his road to becoming an acupuncture student and his amazing decision to anonymously donate a kidney in this video taken at a Brown Bag lunch he gave at ACTCM on October 6, 2015.
Life at ACTCM
The American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine has 200 students and a small, intimate campus. Students enjoy a low faculty to student ratio, small classes, and close connections with each other and alumni.
ACTCM's campus is located in two sites on San Francisco's Potrero Hill neighborhood. Potrero Hill is close to downtown and a picturesque part of the city that is easy to commute to. San Francisco is a dynamic city that is a cultural, culinary, and financial center with a diverse population. Students enjoy great concerts, nightlife, beaches, nearby forests, and great weather!
The city's diversity is also reflected in the populations of patients at our clinics, giving students a broad clinical experience. Our onsite teaching clinic is open to the public. Student practitioners partner with faculty advisers and receive hands-on experience.
Many of our students tell us that they feel very at home at ACTCM, and our alumni often have bonds with each other that last long past graduation.
If you would like to visit us to see if ACTCM is right for you, please call our admissions department at 415-401-0464.