- September 28-29, 2019
- 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
InterContinental San Francisco
888 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
12 Continuing Education Credits Available for psychologists, California licensed LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs, LMFTs, and nurses. See below for details.
Join Bessel van der Kolk, one of the world’s foremost experts on trauma and bestselling author, for an experiential workshop on the neuroscience of traumatic stress and treatment techniques for healing trauma.
Through intriguing videos, case studies, and lectures, participants receive an overview of effective trauma interventions including EMDR, yoga, sensorimotor processing, internal family systems, and neurofeedback. Explore how imprints of trauma are held in the body and how brain development and function are shaped by experience. Understand how overwhelming experiences change the capacity for self-regulation. Discover specific techniques that affect regulation, the integration of dissociated aspects of experience, chronic helplessness, and the reintegration of human connections.
Dr. van der Kolk shares the latest research in trauma treatment as well as the efficacy and possible limitations of mind-body treatment approaches.
This workshop is for anyone who wants to deepen their understanding of how trauma impacts us on every level and learn embodied approaches to healing from trauma.
Continuing Education Credits: 12 CEs Available
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- SCRC is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California.
- For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance, contact CIIS Public Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about CE, visitwww.spiritualcompetency.comor contact David Lukoff, PhD at CE@spiritualcompetency.com.
- LCSWs and MFTs from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board for approval.
Bessel A. van der Kolk, MD is a clinician, researcher, and teacher in the area of post-traumatic stress. His work integrates developmental, neurobiological, psychodynamic, and interpersonal aspects of the impact of trauma and its treatment.
Dr. van der Kolk and his various collaborators have published extensively on the impact of trauma on development, such as dissociative problems, borderline personality and self-mutilation, cognitive development, memory, and the psychobiology of trauma. He has published over 150 peer reviewed scientific articles on such diverse topics as neuroimaging, self-injury, memory, neurofeedback, Developmental Trauma, yoga, theater, and EMDR.
He is founder of the Trauma Center and Trauma Research Foundation in Boston, MA; past President of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, and Professor of Psychiatry at Boston University Medical School. He regularly teaches at universities and hospitals around the world.
His most recent 2014 New York Times Science best seller, The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Treatment of Trauma transforms our understanding of traumatic stress, revealing how it literally rearranges the brain’s wiring—specifically areas dedicated to pleasure, engagement, control, and trust. He shows how these areas can be reactivated through innovative treatments including neurofeedback, mindfulness techniques, play, yoga, and other therapies.