- April 28-29, 2018
- 10:00 am to 6:30 pm
1231 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Somatic Experiencing is a body-oriented approach to the healing of trauma and other stress disorders. In this workshop, Dr. Levine, the founder of Somatic Experiencing, demonstrates how Somatic Experiencing addresses trauma, seeing it as the consequence of trapped survival energy.
The Somatic Experiencing approach gently facilitates the release of thwarted survival energy bound in the body, thus addressing the root cause of trauma symptoms. Through a combination of theoretical explanation, demonstrations, and body-oriented exercises, participants begin to develop a deep and intrinsic body awareness that helps to draw them into the vibrant experience of life-energy, flow, contact with the eternal now, and wholeness.
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients.
Continuing Education Credits (available for an additional $50): 15 CEs Available
• CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
• The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
• SCRC is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California.
• For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance, contact CIIS Public Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about CE, visit www.spiritualcompetency.com or contact David Lukoff, PhD at CE@spiritualcompetency.com.
• LCSWs and MFTs from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board for approval.
Peter A Levine, PhD is the developer of Somatic Experiencing, a naturalistic and neurobiological approach to healing trauma which he has developed during the past 45 years. This work has been taught to 30,000 therapists in 43 countries.
Dr. Levine has received the Lifetime Achievement award from the US Association for Body-Oriented Psychotherapy, and an honorary award as the Reiss-Davis Chair in Los Angeles for his lifetime contribution to infant and child psychiatry. In addition, he has recently also received the life time achievement (from the Association for Training on Trauma and Attachment in Children) for his lifelong commitment to healing children through research, education, and outreach.
Dr. Levine has doctorates, both in Biological and Medical Physics (Biophysics) from UC Berkeley and a doctorate in Psychology from International University. He has taught at the University of California, Berkeley; Mills College; Antioch University; the California Institute of Integral Studies and the Santa Barbara Graduate Institute. He served as a Stress consultant for NASA in the early space shuttle development and has served on the American Psychological Association task force for responding to the trauma of large scale disasters and ethno-political warfare. Dr. Levine is currently a Senior Fellow and consultant at The Meadows Addiction and Trauma Treatment Center in Wickenburg, Arizona.
Peter Levine is the author of several best-selling books on trauma, including Waking the Tiger, Healing Trauma (published in 28 languages), In an Unspoken Voice, How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness, as well as Trauma and Memory; Brain and Body in a Search for the Living Past.