About the Program
The Sex Therapy Certificate Program is the only sex therapy certification program offered for continuing education (CEs) in San Francisco and is among one of the few offered on the West Coast. It is also one of the few programs offered by an accredited institution nationally. These courses are taught by faculty from CIIS' human sexuality doctoral program, doctoral level AASECT certified sex educators and sex therapists, and clinical sexologists who are leaders in their respective professions and scholarly activities.
CIIS' strengths and history of contributions in the fields of counseling psychology, integral health and integral pedagogy, and sexuality studies form the basis for our approach to the certificate. We strive to provide an integral view of the fields of sex therapy and sex education, including multiple perspectives and philosophies, rooted in a sex positive view and affirmation of the diversity of sexual practices, experiences, and identities of our communities and clients
The American Association of Sex Counselors, Educators and Therapists (AASECT), is the leading organization providing professional criteria and certification requirements for the field of sex therapy, sex education and sex counseling. We have become an institutional CE provider aligning with their certification criteria. Sex therapists are licensed clinicians (LPCC, MSW, MFT, RN, PsyD) who have additional training in the assessment and treatment of sexuality.
AASECT sex therapy certification serves an unmet need for additional training and skills for addressing competently a wide range of concerns that often go unaddressed in psychotherapy, such as: arousal and desire concerns, desire discrepancies within a couple, difficulties with climax, emerging sexual identities, development of intimacy, open relationships and extra-marital affairs, diversity of sexual expression, cybersexuality, sexual trauma and rape, socio-cultural factors associated with sexuality, and painful sex. Currently, there are very few certified sex therapists in the nation; psychotherapists often treat couples and individuals who have these concerns but lack training, and the medical view of sexuality experiences and disorders is limited. Psychotherapists who have additional training would be poised to help couples and individuals to address these concerns within the context of psychotherapy in an integral fashion and/or as separate and specific concerns as sex therapists.
The sex therapy certificate program consists of 4 courses, delivered in an in-person/online hybrid fashion. Participants meet in San Francisco on 3 weekends (Friday through Sunday) for 75 hours of in person training during the fall and conduct the remaining hours of learning online in a self-paced fashion for a total of 165 hours.
Fall 2018 Sex Therapy Cohort Weekends
Complete schedule for Fall 2018 to be announced. Click here for course descriptions.
- September 14-16
- Second weekend TBA
- Third weekend TBA
Registration Deposit: $500
Early Application Discount
$200 off before July 1st, 2018
Payment and Cancelation Policies
A deposit of $500 is due at the time of application. If you are not accepted, this fee will be refunded minus a $100 processing fee. Should you wish to cancel after the payment of the initial deposit, an amount of $250 will be deducted from your refund. This cancellation fee will apply whether or not you have been accepted to the program. After payment of the initial deposit of $500, payment of the remaining balance of $5,250 must be received by September 1st, 2018, to secure your space in the program. An installment payment schedule is available on a limited basis for those who can show financial need. Please contact our office at 415.575.6175 for details. If a student withdraws before October 1st, 2018, fifty percent of the full fee ($2,875) will be due. The full fee of $5,750 is due if a student withdraws after October 1st, 2018.
CIIS is an AASECT certified CEU provider. Our content is aligned to the A - Q core knowledge content and A - G training in sex therapy.
Course content consists of the following areas:
I: Sexual Attitude Reassessment (15 hours)
II: Sexual Function and Practices (45 hours)
III: Problems and Professional Issues in Sexuality (45 hours)
IV: Sex Therapy Professional Skills (60 hours)
Upon completion of the certificate, participants will be eligible to conduct 300 hours of practical training in sex therapy in discussion with an AASECT certified sex therapy supervisor. AASECT requires 50 hours of supervision. CIIS faculty will help you select a supervisor in your area or with whom you agree to work via Skype. Thereafter, applicants send their documentation of coursework and supervised hours to AASECT as an application for certification. Click here for class descriptions.
Format and Development of the Certificate
The format of instruction and curriculum has been developed by Dr. Nicolle Zapien, core faculty of the CIIS Human Sexuality department, a licensed and practicing MFT and certified sex therapist, who attended Harvard's Graduate School of Education in the Teaching and Curriculm program. She has collaborated with AASECT, many clinicians and sex therapists, sexologists, medical professionals in sexual medicine, online educators and sex educators in the development of the program. Although Nicolle created the program, the actual curriculum is designed by the individual instructors, with the guidance of mapping to the AASECT core knowledge areas and clinical skills training areas.
The learning experience will consist of both in person activities as well as independent self-paced learning through our online CANVAS platform. Activities will include but are not limited to: lectures, small group discussion, large group discussion, and experiential learning (e.g., role-play, journaling, self-reflection, activities in the community, information gathering) as well as applied work in clinical and therapeutic settings. We aim to offer a professional context to develop competency in sexual knowledge, clinical assessment and treatment of sexuality concerns.
What can I do with a certificate in Sex Therapy?
Three primary opportunities could await you as a certificate graduate:
• You would become skilled in the complex assessment and treatment of the intersection between psychological, sexual and relational phenomena;
• You would become competent in dialoguing and collaborating with a host of professionals to support your clients including pain specialists, psychiatrists, physical therapists, sexologists, sex surrogates, massage therapists, medical doctors, endocrinologists, sex educators, and others to address the needs of clients; and,
• You would be poised to meet the unmet needs of the community.
What Are the Benefits of Attending the Sex Therapy Certificate Program?
By enrolling in this certificate program, you will:
• Have a unique opportunity to train with a dynamic interdisciplinary team of sexuality experts.
• Develop your clinical skills to an advanced level of expertise that integrates sexuality into your clinical practice, affirms diversity of sexual identities, develops competence and skill in addressing the intersection of relational issues and sexual ones and fosters embodied intimacy development through sexuality.
• Enjoy the support & conviviality of a cohort of therapists, and professionals with whom you might consult or collaborate in the future.
• Learn to be present to the ways in which you can more deeply understand your own sexuality and the sexualities of others and attitudes toward it.
• Join an engaged & healing classroom atmosphere that nurtures our human capacity for curiosity, aliveness, well-being, affirmation & community.
• Expand your scope of practice within your profession to include skills and insights from the certification training that would allow you to more ably help people navigate through intimacy and relationships.
• Take advantage of applicable continuing education credits for this certificate.