About the Program
The Sex Education Certificate Program is the only sex eduation certification program offered for continuing education (CEs) in San Francisco and is among one of the few offered on the West Coast. It is also one of the few programs offered by an accredited institution nationally. These courses are taught by faculty from CIIS' human sexuality doctoral program, doctoral level AASECT certified sex educators and sex therapists, and clinical sexologists who are leaders in their respective professions and scholarly activities.
CIIS' strengths and history of contributions in the fields of counseling psychology, integral health and integral pedagogy, and sexuality studies form the basis for our approach to the certificate. We strive to provide an integral view of the fields of sex therapy and sex education, including multiple perspectives and philosophies, rooted in a sex positive view and affirmation of the diversity of sexual practices, experiences, and identities of our communities and clients
AASECT sex educator certification serves an unmet need for additional training and skills for addressing competently a wide range of issues that often go unaddressed in school-based sex ed programs, community health programs and as part of lifelong learning. In addition, with the explosion of porn, online media and other sources of information, the public is often at a loss as to where to find medically accurate and sex positive materials and educational experiences.
This program provides current knowledge about sexual behavior and practices, pregnancy and childbirth, STIs, LGBTQQAI identities, kink, polyamory, intimacy, sexual functioning and dysfunction, desire and arousal, climax, sexual trauma and forensic issues and community resources. We also cover: Infidelity, sexual expression, cybersexuality, rape, socio-cultural factors associated with sexuality, and painful sex.
Currently, there is a mandate in California to provide medically accurate complete sex education to all in public schools. In addition, workshops, podcasts and blogs are very popular means of sex education. We aim to support the development of the next generation of sex educators to meet these demands and needs.
The sex educator certificate program consists of 4 courses, delivered in an in-person/online hybrid fashion. Participants meet in San Francisco on 3 weekends (Friday through Sunday) for 75 hours of in person training during the fall and conduct the remaining hours of learning online in a self-paced fashion for a total of 165 hours.
Fall 2018 Sex Education Cohort Weekends
Complete schedule for Fall 2018 to be announced. Click here for course descriptions.
- September 14-16
- Second weekend TBA
- Third weekend TBA
Registration Deposit: $500
Early Application Discounts
$200 off before July 1st, 2018
Payment and Cancelation Policies
A deposit of $500 is due at the time of application. If you are not accepted, this fee will be refunded minus a $100 processing fee. Should you wish to cancel after the payment of the initial deposit, an amount of $250 will be deducted from your refund. This cancellation fee will apply whether or not you have been accepted to the program. After payment of the initial deposit of $500, payment of the remaining balance of $5,000 must be received by September 1st, 2018, to secure your space in the program. An installment payment schedule is available on a limited basis for those who can show financial need. Please contact our office at 415.575.6175 for details. If a student withdraws before October 1st, 2018, fifty percent of the full fee ($2,750) will be due. The full fee of $5,500 is due if a student withdraws after October 1st, 2018.
CIIS is an AASECT certified CEU provider. Our content is aligned to the A - Q core knowledge content and A - G training in sex therapy.
Course content consists of the following areas:
I: Sexual Attitude Reassessment (15 hours)
II: Sexual Function and Practices (45 hours)
III: Problems and Professional Issues in Sexuality (45 hours)
IV: Sex Educator Professional Skills (60 hours)
Upon completion of the certificate, participants will be eligible to conduct 100 hours of practical training in sex education in discussion with an AASECT certified sex educator supervisor. AASECT requires 25 hours of supervision. CIIS faculty will help you select a supervisor in your area or with whom you agree to work via Skype. Thereafter, applicants send their documentation of coursework and supervised hours to AASECT as an application for certification. Click here for class descriptions.
Format and Development of the Certificate
The format of instruction and curriculum has been developed by Dr. Nicolle Zapien, core faculty is the CIIS Human Sexuality department, a licensed and practicing MFT and certified sex therapist, who attended Harvard's Graduate School of Education in the Teaching and Curriculm program. She has collaborated with AASECT, many clinicians and sex therapists, sexologists, medical professionals in sexual medicine, online educators and sex educators in the development of the program.
The learning experience will consist of both in person activities as well as independent self-paced learning through our online CANVAS platform. Activities will include but are not limited to: lectures, small group discussion, large group discussion, and experiential learning (e.g., role-play, journaling, self-reflection, activities in the community, information gathering) as well as applied work in clinical and therapeutic settings. We aim to offer a professional context to develop competency in sexual knowledge, clinical assessment and treatment of sexuality concerns.
What can I do with a certificate in Sex Education?
Three primary opportunities could await you as a certificate graduate:
• You would become skilled in developing and marketing a workshop, course or other educational experience;
• You would become competent in dialoguing and collaborating with a host of professionals and institutions to meet their educational needs (e.g. department of public health, schools, non-profits, for profits, conferences) in particular to provide trainings on sexual harassment, LGBTQQAI folks in the workplace and other important mandated workshops,
• You would be poised to meet the unmet needs of the community.
What Are the Benefits of Attending the Sex Education Certificate Program?
By enrolling in this certificate program, you will:
• Have a unique opportunity to train with a dynamic interdisciplinary team of sexuality experts.
• Develop your clinical or pedagogical skills to an advanced level of expertise that integrates sexuality into your work, affirms diversity of sexual identities, develops competence and skill in addressing the intersection of relational issues and sexual ones and fosters embodied intimacy development through sexuality.
• Enjoy the support & conviviality of a cohort of professionals with whom you might consult or collaborate in the future.
• Learn to be present to the ways in which you can more deeply understand your own sexuality and the sexualities of others and attitudes toward it.
• Join an engaged & healing classroom atmosphere that nurtures our human capacity for curiosity, aliveness, well-being, affirmation & community.
• Expand your scope of practice within your profession to include skills and insights from the certification training that would allow you to more ably help people navigate through intimacy and relationships.
• Take advantage of applicable continuing education credits for this certificate.