Dr. Yi Wu, who has been a professor at CIIS for 36 years, received his Ph.D. (1970) in Chinese Literature from Chinese Culture University (CCU). He studied under C. C. Chang and John C. H. Wu, who was an internationally famous scholar.
Dr. Wu has written over 30 books and numerous articles on Confucianism, Taoism and Ch'an Buddhism and presented at conferences in China, Taiwan, Europe and the United States. These include: Chinese Philosophical Terms (1986); The Book of Lao Tzu (1989); Tea of Concerned Mind; The Mind of Chinese Ch'an (Zen)(1989) and Ch'an and Lao-Chuang (2011). His most recent books are the I Ching: The Book of Changes and Virtues (1998 & 2012); Self and Mind: Integral Life Psychology (2011); The I Ching: The Way of Dealing with Changes (2014); Philosophy of Life (Chinese Edition, 2014) and his newest book, Integral Philosophy and Life (Chinese Edition, 2014).
From 1970 to 1977, Dr. Wu was chair of the philosophy department at Chinese Culture University (CCU) in Taipei City, Taiwan. In 1977, the Venerable Master Hsuan Hua of the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas (The Dharma Realm Buddhist Association, Ukiah, CA.) invited Dr. Wu to build a department of Chinese philosophy and teach Lao Tzu. In 1992, Dr. Wu invited his long-time friend Venerable Master Sheng Yen, the founder of Dharma Drum Mountain from Taipei Taiwan, to meet with students from CIIS. In 2005, Master Hsing Yun invited Dr. Wu to teach Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu at Fo Guang Shan, (Buddha's Light International Association) located in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. A few years ago, Dr. Wu was invited by the Jungian Institute in San Francisco to give a lecture entitled The Ten Principles of I Ching Studies. During this time, Dr. Wu created his innovative Chinese philosophical psychology based on Sri Aurobindo's Integral Philosophy, which he further developed in to an Integral Life Psychology.
1. I Ching Te Ch’u Pien Hsueh (The I Ching-The Learning of Dealing with Changes), San Bruno: Great Learning Publishing Co. Amazon Kindle Bookstore. 2012.
2. Wo Yu Hsin- Chen Ti Sheng Ming Hsin Li Hsueh (Self and Mind-Integral Life Psychology), Taipei; The Commercial Press, Ltd.2010.
3. Shen Ming Te Che Hsueh (The philosophy of Life), Taipei: San Min Bookstore, 2004.
4. Chuang Tzu Nei Pien Chieh I (The Philosophical Commentary of Inner Chapters of Chuang Tzu), Taipei: San Min bookstore, 2000.
5. Shen Ming Te Chuan Hua (Transformation of Life), Taipei: San Min Bookstore,1996.
6. Lao Tzu Chieh I (The Philosophical Commentary of Lao Tzu), Taipei: San Min bookstore, 1994.
7. Kuan Hsin Ch’a (Concerned Mind Tea), Taipei: San Min Bookstore, 1991.
8. Chou I His Ts’u Chuan Chieh I (The Philosophical Commentary of Hsi Ts’u of the I Ching), Taipei: San Min Bookstore, 1991.
9. Chung Kuo Che Hsueh Fa Chan Shih (The Historical Development of Chinese Philosophy). Taipei: San Min Bookstore, 1984.
10. Chung Kuo Che Hsueh Te Shen Ming Ho Fang Fa (Method and Life of Chinese Philosophy), Taipei: San Ming Bookstore, 1981.
11. Koan Ch’an Yu (Discussion of Ch’an through Koan), Taipei: San Min bookstore, 1979.
12. Ch’an Yu Chien Shu (Zen and Archery), Taipei: San Ming Bookstore, 1977.
13. Che Hsueh Yen Chiang Lu (Lectures on Philosophy), Taipei: San Min Bookstore, 1876.
14. Che Hsueh Te Shen Tai Chu Shih (Three Pillars of Philosophy), Taipei: Chen Chung Bookstore Co., 1974.
15. Hsiao Yao Te Chuang Tzu (The Spiritual Freedom of Chuang Tzu), Taipei: San Min Bookstore, 1973.
16. Chung Yung Cheng Te Che Hsueh (The Philosophy of “Sincerity” in the Doctrine of the Mean), Taipei: San Min Bookstore, 1971.
17. I shu Tao Tsao (A Bundle of Hey), Taipei: San Min Bookstore, 1971.
18. Ch’an Yu Lao Chuang (Ch’an and Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu), Taipei: San Min Bookstore, 1970.
19. Ch’an Hsueh Te Huang Ching Shih Tai (The Golden Age of Zen), Translation,Taipei: Taiwan Commercial press, 1969.
20. Chung Kuo Che hsueh Shih Hua (The Story of Chinese Philosophy), with Professor C.C. Chang, Taipei: Published by authors 1963.
21. Jen Yu Ch’iao (Man and Bridge), Taipei: Fan Kuang Book Co., 1963.
22. Jen Yu Lu (Man and His Way), Taipei: Fan Kuang Book Co., 1961.
1. Chinese Philosophical Terms, Washington, D.C., University Press of America 1985, Great Learning Publishing Co. Amazon Kindle Bookstore, 2012.
2. The Book of Lao Tzu, San Bruno: Great Learning Publishing Co. 1989. Amazon Kindle Bookstore, 2012.
3. The Mind of Chinese Ch’an, San Bruno: Great Learning Publishing Co. 1990. Amazon Kindle Bookstore, 2012.
4. I Ching-The Book of Changes and Virtues, San Bruno: Great Learning Publishing co. 1998. Amazon Kindle Bookstore, 2012.
5. Ch’an and Lao Chuang--Zen and Taoists, San Bruno: Great Learning publishing co. Amazon Kindle Bookstore, 2012.
6. Self and Mind: Integral Life Psychology, San Bruno: Great Learning Publishing Co. Amazon kindle Bookstore, 2012.