April 7, 2014
The Integrative Health Studies MA program at CIIS is happy to announce a new Certificate in Guided Imagery, open to all CIIS students and the public who enroll in the 3-credit, 45-contact hour course offered in Fall. Continuing education credits are available. The course is ideal for graduate students and any individual interested in transformative, guided imagery practices for mental and physical health. It is designed for integrative health practitioners, MFTs, psychologists, therapists, health coaches, doctors, nurses, licensed health care professionals, massage therapists, and somatic educators.
Through a compelling and extensive body of research connected to the field of psychoneuroimmunology, we have learned that conscious and unconscious images within us have a direct impact on our physiology, offering guided imagery an important role for a range of health-related conditions. Examples include the ability to lower cholesterol and glucose levels in the blood, heighten short-term immune cell activity, lower blood pressure, reduce complications related to surgery, as well as anxiety relief and enhanced wellbeing. An interactive-style of imagery facilitation which navigates the mind-body-emotions-spirit matrix will be taught and practiced, along with an understanding of its applications for a variety of health and lifestyle concerns. This is a 3 unit class offered as an elective in the Integrative Health Studies Master’s Program and cross-listed with the Counseling Psychology Programs.
- Attend a total of 45 contact hours, within the Transformative Imagery course, offered over 15-week semester period.
- Demonstrate proficiency through dyad imagery work, with informal and formal mentored observations
- Complete 7 written assignments including academic paper
- Compete and additional 12 hours of practice sessions
Overview, Foundational Practices, Inner Child, Parts Work, Deepening Imagery with Expressive Arts, Application for Optimal Performance, Working with Couples, Imagery for Lifestyle Changes, Imagery with Children and Adolescence, Medical Issues and Symptom Management, Trauma and EFT, Optimal Performance, Working with Couples, Transpersonal Dimensions, Spiritual Assessment, End-of-Life Issues, Grief, Student Demonstrations.
Upon successful completion of the Certificate program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence facilitating an effective, interactive style of guided imagery to enhance health and wellness.
- Understand and work with the health impact of symbols arising in clients.
- Apply frameworks and theoretical models for including contraindications, of imagery in health-related practice.
- Describe the variations of imagery with individuals vs. groups.
- Demonstrate skills in facilitating imagery approaches to relieve both chronic and acute pain.
- Assess and use appropriate imagery tools for facilitating restorative sleep.
- Apply tools for clients with a trauma history, particularly Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT).
- Build confidence through observed practice with feedback, of the foundation of transformative imagery for wellness coaching and clinical practice.
Davenport, L. (2009). Healing and Transformation Through Self Guided Imagery . New York, Random House/Celestial Arts.
Rappaport, L. (2008). Focusing-Oriented Art Therapy. Philadelphia, PA, Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
Cantwell, M. (2012). Map of the Spirit: Diagnosis and Treatment of the Spirit. Mustang, OK, Hillhaven Press.
Additional research-oriented bibliography will be provided, along with handouts.
Leslie Davenport, MA, MFT, adjunct faculty within Integrative Health Studies, CIIS, and guest lecturers.