- June 18-19, 2016
- 9:30 am to 6:00 pm
California Institute of Integral Studies
CIIS Main Building
1453 Mission Street,
San Francisco, CA 94103
This workshop provides you with practical tools for working with your clients' spiritual and religious beliefs and practices (SRBP) in the therapy room. Following 16 research-based guidelines as described in her 2015 book, Shelley Scammell, PsyD guides you through multiple exercises to enhance your awareness, knowledge and skills on a number of important topics.
- How to take an oral, written or visual history of your clients' SRBP.
- Understanding your client's lived experience with SRBP.
- Exploring religious and spiritual diversity.
- Lifespan development of SRBP.
- Recognizing harmful involvement in SRBP.
- How to differentiate spiritual and religious experiences from psychopathology.
- Helping clients recognize and access their religious and spiritual resources.
- Becoming aware of legal and ethical issues and boundaries when working with SRBP, including when to make referrals if issues are beyond your scope of practice.
- Learning how meditation and other practices may impact brain functioning.
Enhance your confidence in working with clients who meditate, practice yoga, or engage in other practices from which unexpected consequences—challenging as well as wonderful—may arise.
Shelley Scammell, PsyD has been a clinical psychologist in the San Francisco Bay Area for the past 18 years. She is an alumni of CIIS as well as an adjunct professor in the East West Program. She has taught psychology in the PsyD department at CIIS, Sonoma State University and at the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine for 10 years, as well as English as a Second Language at NYU for 15 years. Her book, Spiritual and Religious Competencies for Clinical Practice , co-authored with Cassi Vieten, PhD, CEO of IONS, is being released August, 2015 by New Harbinger Press. With several colleagues, they conducted research over six years to develop these competencies. In addition, Dr. Scammell has worked with numerous clients experiencing spiritual emergence and emergency over the past 10 years.
14 BBS and APA CEs available (MFT, LCSW, RN, PsyD)
This course is also available for one unit of academic credit to CIIS students. Must attend full weekend.