About The Program
CIIS Public Program & Performances is proud to host the Certificate in Sound, Voice, and Music in the Healing Arts. The Certificate in Sound, Voice, and Music in the Healing Arts is the first certificate program of it's kind offered at an accredited university.
The program is unique in the way that it integrates theory and practice in a comprehensive curriculum built upon both scientific research and spiritual wisdom traditions. Students not only gain a solid academic foundation in sound healing—one that can enhance intellectual growth and their careers—but experience firsthand sound’s tremendous power to transform and heal.
Unique Integral Approach to Learning
The certificate program is based on a multicultural, multidisciplinary, and integral approach to the study of voice, music, and sound—and explores their effect on the human mind, body, and spiritual development. In order to create and support a community of growth and learning, the program’s curriculum is structured around an innovative “cohort model” whereby a relatively small group of students attend the same classes together throughout the year. Several academic programs at CIIS follow this model, and it has proven to enrich students’ learning experience, to create a vibrant learning community, and to inspire original ideas.
Specifically, our groundbreaking curriculum:
- Synthesizes scientific discoveries from the West with the ancient sound wisdom of the East, as well as with traditional South and North American indigenous sound and shamanic healing.
- Offers a mind-body-spirit perspective in working with sound and musical instruments in therapeutic facilities.
- Encourages students to work with various music, voice, and sound modalities in developing therapeutic insight. Students both enhance their intuitive skills and learn scientific and state-of-the-art technical information.
Why Study Sound, Voice, and Music in the Healing Arts?
Since time immemorial, every spiritual tradition of the world has used sound for healing. Sound is an integral part of the healing power of shamanic practices, and is used extensively today in scientific research, as well as in integrative medicine and as a tool in pain management.
Sound supports the process of transforming energy patterns, reveals measurable effects in the physical body, and facilitates the connection between mind-body-spirit. The singing voice, for example, as a fabric of breath, vibration, and emotion, can affect the body and mind more efficiently than any other form of sound. Vocal sounds are a primary source of energy, balancing and stimulating the brain. Indeed, certain sounds are considered a tonic for the brain, and they are used frequently in the treatment of chronic depression and pain.
Today, the field of sound and music healing is rapidly gaining recognition as an essential component of health care in our society. Many acupuncturists, naturopaths, chiropractors, massage therapists, and psychotherapists, to name just a few, have integrated sound and music healing into their practice. In view of the fast-emerging fields of sound and music in healing, as well as contemporary shamanism, it is increasingly important to understand how sound, music, and chant can support therapeutic and growth processes.
What Can I Do with This Certificate?
With a certificate from CIIS Public Programs’ Sound, Voice, and Music in the Healing Arts program, students should be better equipped to serve as practitioners, specialists, volunteers, interns, or even as members of a multidisciplinary treatment team within a health center or a community agency, as well as in a private healing or counseling practice.
Among the many clinical settings where there is a growing need for people with a background in sound healing are:
- Psychiatric Hospitals
- Rehabilitation Facilities
- Mental Health Clinics
- Outpatient Facilities
- Substance Abuse Programs
- Correctional Institutions
- Hospice Programs
- Geriatric Centers
- Children’s Health Centers
- Facilities for People with Developmental Disabilities
- Bodywork Clinics
- Yoga Studios
- Acupuncture and Alternative Medicine Centers
- Ecology Centers/Organizations for Sustainability
Benefits of the CIIS Certificate in Sound
By enrolling in CIIS’s Certificate in Sound, Voice, and Music in the Healing Arts you will have the rare opportunity to:
- Receive ample individual attention as you study intensively in small groups led by experts and pioneers in the field of sound.
- Build professional collaborations and networks with those who share your passion for sound and healing.
- Begin preparation for an advanced degree or further specialization.
- Receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- Receive ongoing discounts on select Public Programs
Read these recent articles by Silvia Nakkach, M.A., MMT
WHEN THE MUSIC CHANGES, YOU CHANGE!
RASA, INTO THE CORE OF MUSIC HEALING ANCIENT AND NEW PERSPECTIVES IN MUSICAL PERCEPTION
Introducing the Theory of Rasa: The Nine Aesthetic Emotions of Hindu Art and Music