Arts at CIIS accepts proposals from individual artists, small groups of artists, or curators for exhibition of their work; proposals are reviewed year round.
Please submit proposals to Deirdre Visser, CIIS art curator.
Digital proposals are preferred and should be sent via email to email@example.com.
Please note in the subject line that it is an exhibition proposal.
We will accept traditional slide portfolios for review as well.
Please send them to:
California Institute of Integral Studies
Attn: Deirdre Visser, Art Curator
1453 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
The artist/curatorial proposal should include:
1. A brief artist statement, no longer than 500 words, for the project you are proposing for exhibition. Include your name and complete contact information at the top of the page. Please send as either a .doc or .rtf file.
2. (Also in.doc or .rtf format) please send an image list that corresponds to the number system on the image files or slides. Include the title of the piece, size, medium and year of completion.
3. For digital files please send as attachments six images saved as jpegs, sized at approximately 8" x 10" at 72 PPI. Name each image file with the last name of the artist_number. (example: Smith_01)
4. If you are sending slides, please label as above. Text elements should be printed and a #10 SASE with sufficient postage must be provided for return of slides.
Expect at least four months turn around time before you hear from us.
How the Arts at CIIS Galleries Work:
- Arts at CIIS exhibits work in three spaces:
- CIIS Main Building on Mission St: 3rd floor corridor
- CIIS Main Building on Mission St: 4th floor corridor
- Dates of the exhibitions generally coincide with the CIIS academic calendar.
- We generally hold either an opening or closing reception, and will work with you to design the most appropriate event.
- Greeters are available at the gallery entrance. Main Building hours are: Mon - Fri, 9:00AM-6:00PM, except on holidays. Sat - Sun, 9:00AM-3:00PM. Hours are subject to change based on summer and holiday schedule.
- CIIS will handle promotions for the exhibit and opening through our communications department.
- Artists are expected to be available to install their own shows. They may be asked to provide additional pedestals, cases, or special equipment for their exhibition; we will work with them to plan and design a successful exhibition. Arts at CIIS provides tools, hardware, labels, and paint for all exhibitions.
- There is insurance coverage under the Institute's policies for artwork exhibited at CIIS. Every artist must submit the total cost of their work to the art curator before the art is hung (regardless of whether it is for sale) if they wish to be insured through the Institute.
- If any art is sold while the artist is exhibiting at CIIS, 40% of the profits will go to CIIS. Any pieces not for sale should be so indicated on the exhibit label.
More detailed information will be provided upon acceptance of your proposal.