Financial Aid

Types of Aid

Types of Aid

Undergraduate Students

CIIS offers both institutional and federal aid to our students.

  • Grants

    Money for undergraduate students that they do not need to repay.

  • Federal Pell

    Available for students who demonstrate need per their FAFSA.


    Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, available to students who demonstrate need per their FAFSA.

  • Cal Grant

    A California state grant that requires you to file your FAFSA online before March 2 every year.

  • California Workforce Investment Act

    CIIS is now registered as an eligible training provider for the Workforce Investment Act (WIA), a program by the California Employment Development Department (EDD).  This benefit is geared for eligible students of the Bachelor’s Completion program who are currently unemployed/underemployed and are in school for retraining by means of completing their bachelor’s degree.  Depending on which California county a student resides, a student who applies may receive $5,000-$6,000 of training funds to go towards paying for their degree program.  To apply, a student will need to go to their local one-stop career center and inquire about participating in the program.  They will be assigned a counselor for assessment and if determined eligible, will work out an employment plan with them which can include education/training.  Once a student is “WIA-certified” (i.e., approved by the counselor to undergo WIA-funded training), the student will choose the school and program that they would like to enroll in from the EDD-WIA ETPL provider list on:  CIIS is enlisted under training provider as:  CAL INSTITUTE OF INTEGRAL STU.

Undergraduate and Graduate Student Aid

Institutional aid is in the form of CIIS scholarships. Please refer to our Scholarships page.

Federal Student Loans

Federal student loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options, including, but not limited to, income-based repayment and income-contingent repayment plans, and loan forgiveness benefits, which other student loans are not required to provide. Federal Direct Loans are available to students regardless of income. Other qualification criteria do apply.

  • Stafford Loans

    This is a federal loan program. You are required to pay back the loans to the Department of Education beginning six months after you graduate or become enrolled less than half-time (this six month period is called a "grace period"). Subsidized Stafford loans means that the government pays for the interest while you're in school and it is available to undergraduate students only. Unsubsidized Stafford loans means that a 6.8% fixed interest accrues while you're in school and it is available to undergraduate and graduate students.

  • PLUS Loans

    Undergraduate PLUS stands for Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students. This is a federal loan program for parents of dependent students to borrow additional funding for their children's educational costs. Students and parents may apply for this type of loan with the Department of Education online.

    Graduate PLUS loans are a supplemental loan for graduate students. This is a 7.9% fixed interest rate loan and the interest accrues while you're in school. The Department of Education doesn't offer a grace period for this loan. Students may apply for this type of loan with the Department of Education online.

    Note: All Graduate PLUS loans have a credit-decision expiration date of 90 days from the Department of Education. You may need to re-apply again within the academic year if your application expires and you are in need of additional funds.  All Graduate PLUS loan application are applicable within one academic year.

Private Student Loans

Once you and your family have considered all institutional and federal loan options, you can use the Great Lakes FASTChoice feature to instantly and accurately compare rates and terms from multiple private loan lenders side-by-side. This tool will help you make an informed decision about the most appropriate loan for you.

FASTChoice displays products from local and national lenders, complete with detailed listings of APRs (annual percentage rates), interest rates, total cost, monthly payments, borrower benefits, fees and repayment options. You may click here to start the comparison.

Regardless of which private lender you choose, you will need to complete a self-certification form with us before receiving your first disbursement of loan funds. Your lender may provide this form to you when you apply for the loan. You can also download the form here (PDF).

Final Disclosure and Right-to-Cancel Period
Under the federal Truth in Lending Act (TILA), your lender must provide you with a finalized disclosure statement after you have signed your promissory note. The final disclosure statement confirms the terms and conditions of your loan.

At the time that this final disclosure is delivered, your "right-to-cancel" period begins. During this period of six business days, you may cancel the loan by contacting the lender. The lender cannot release the first disbursement of your loan funds until the end of the right-to-cancel period.

Graduate students should first opt for the Graduate PLUS loan. This may be the only option if a graduate student has lost his/her financial aid eligibility. Undergraduate independent students may opt for a private loan to supplement their living expenses.

Work Study

Work Study is a federal program that allows students the opportunity to work on and off campus (only domestic students can work off-campus) to fund their education. CIIS does not guarantee a job. It is the the student's responsibility to apply for and secure a position. Work Study funds are not an entitlement; students must work in order to receive these funds.

Domestic students can work on-campus at an hourly wage of $11.75/hour. CIIS partners with Reading Partners for reading tutor jobs for middle school children. These are the only off-campus jobs available through this program available to domestic students only. In addition, if a student is working off-campus, the student may not work on-campus nor hold other community service positions.

International students can work on campus at an hourly wage of $11.75/hour. This is considered institutional aid. International students may work up to 40 hours per week during breaks (contingent upon CIIS budget). For more information regarding employment for international student status, contact your international student advisor at (415) 575-6157.

Vocational Rehabilitation

CIIS works with the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation to assist students in securing their educational funding. Students need to register online with the Department of Veterans Affairs to determine their eligibility. In order to process this educational benefit, the Financial Aid Office needs an Authorization form/voucher from your Department of Rehabilitation counselor.


AmeriCorps is a national community service program that provides funding for education in exchange for service. California Institute of Integral Studies matches the AmeriCorps education awards for the following students:
Undergraduates up to $2,000
Masters up to $3,000
Doctorate up to $4,000

The award match would be granted if the student completed ONE year of study in our school and after the use of one full year of the AmeriCorps award. The match is given in a form of a scholarship and it is only up to tuition costs for the semester that it is applied. For example, during the first year, the student would generally use the AmeriCorps award and during the second year the student would be granted the AmeriCorps match. The student must be making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and not in default with federal aid programs.

You may contact the Financial Aid Office for more information about an AmeriCorps award at

GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon

CIIS works with the Department of Veteran Affairs for those students eligible to receive GI Bill educational funding. CIIS also participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. The financial aid office needs to receive your Certification of Eligibility to process your veteran education benefits.

For more information, please visit the Veterans and their Families page.

Continue Reading