Applying to CIIS
CIIS evaluates applicants based on rolling admissions until the final application deadline. This means that while we encourage you to apply by the priority deadline, we continue to accept applications until all of the spaces in our programs are filled. Please contact the admissions counselor of the program for details as admission to some of our programs may close prior to the final deadline.
SPRING 2016 SEMESTER
Application available August 30th, 2015
Graduate Priority Deadline
October 15th, 2015
Undergraduate Priority Deadline
October 15th, 2015
Spring Final Deadline
December 12th, 2015
Spring Semester Begins
Graduate Programs: January 19th, 2016
Undergraduate: January 11th, 2016
International applicants are encouraged to submit their application close to the priority deadline. All admitted international students must have obtained an F-1 visa before the start of the semester.
The following programs are accepting applications for the 2016 Spring Semester.
Please see your program’s "Apply" page for the specific list of materials to include in your application. Outlined below are the general parameters for the application requirements, but your program may have additional information. Not all programs require all of the items listed below.
International applicants have additional requirements and should visit the International Students page for details.
Please submit electronic materials as individual attachments (one document per submission, in .doc, or .pdf formats) to email@example.com.
Please submit hard copy materials to:
1453 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94103
When submitting your materials, please make sure that all materials clearly state your full name. We recommend utilizing headers and page numbers (if needed) to maintain the order of your documents. Be sure to mention on your application if your transcript is listed under a different name. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing.
ONLINE APPLICATION AND NON-REFUNDABLE $65 APPLICATION FEE
Begin the application process by submitting an online undergraduate or graduate application at the link above and submitting the non-refundable $65 application fee payment.
We require official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate academic institutions attended, regardless of whether or not you received a degree. This includes all transcripts from any institution where you have earned 7 or more units, and transcripts from any schools that appear on your degree conferral transcript.
- US and Canadian transcripts must arrive in their official, sealed envelopes. Electronic transcripts sent directly from your academic institution can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All transcripts from schools outside the United States and Canada must be sent, at the applicant's expense, to World Education Services (WES) foreign credential evaluation service. A course-by-course report* is required for all programs and will be used in lieu of the CIIS application requirement for original transcripts. CIIS accepts the WES 'Basic' report, but applicants may wish to complete the 'ICAP'.
CIIS will accept foreign credential evaluations from other services in some cases. Additional materials may be required of applicants. Please contact the Admissions Office for further clarification at email@example.com.
- A four to six page (12 pt font, double-spaced) which includes your name and program you are applying to.
- Be sure to title the document (i.e., autobiographical statement)
- Your statement should include and introspective discussion addressing your values, emotional and spiritual insights, aspirations, and life experiences that have led to your decision to apply.
- Explanations for any low grades, withdrawals, or inconsistencies on your transcripts.
- Anything else you would like us to know.
- A one-page statement (12 pt font, double-spaced) which includes your name and program you are applying to.
- Be sure to title the document (i.e. Goal Statement)
- Your statement should include your educational and professional objectives.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
- Letters of recommendation should come from people who can speak directly to your ability to successfully undertake the program you wish to pursue (e.g. academic advisors, professors, professional supervisors, etc.).
- Recommenders should use standard business format and include full contact information-name, email, phone number, and mailing address.
- Letters can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF or Word file attachment.
ACADEMIC WRITING SAMPLE
- A writing sample of eight to ten pages (12 pt font, double-spaced) which includes your name and program you are applying to.
- The sample should demonstrate your capacity to think critically and reflectively and demonstrate graduate level writing abilities.
- A sample that uses outside sources must include proper citations.
- You may submit copies of previous work, such as a recent academic paper, article, or report that reflects scholarly abilities.
RESUME OR CV
A collection of relevant career, volunteer and community involvement.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY TEST REPORT
Applicants for whom English is not their native language are required to submit an English language proficiency score. Exceptions are made for students who have earned their Bachelor of Arts degree from English language universities. Admission to CIIS requires a minimum score for one of the following exams:
- TOEFL: 80 test score. TOEFL is an Internet-based test. The CIIS TOEFL code is 4807. Visit the TOEFL website.
- Pearson's Test of English Academic (PTE): 53 test score. Visit the Pearson's website
- IELTS 6.0 band score. Visit the IELTS website.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I FILL OUT THE ONLINE APPLICATION?
Once your application has been processed, you will be issued a User ID and password for your 'MyCIIS' account via email, provided you have not previously received one. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing your application. Using your new CIIS ID and password, you can log in and check on the status of your application. Please contact Portal Help if you do not receive log-in details. When emailing Portal Help, it's useful to include your full name, date of birth, zip code, name of the program you are applying to and the email address you used to submit the application. Forgot your Username or Password?