Applying to CIIS
Many of our programs are currently accepting applications for Fall 2015.
CIIS evaluates applicants based on rolling admissions until the final application deadline. This means that while we encourage you to apply by the priority deadline, we continue to accept applications until all of the spaces in our programs are filled. Please contact the admissions counselor of the program for details as admission to some of our programs may close prior to the final deadline.
FALL 2015 SEMESTER
Application available November 15, 2014
Graduate Priority Deadline
February 1, 2015
International applicants are encouraged to submit their application close to the priority deadline.
All admitted international students are required to participate in the summer bridge program in early August and must have obtained an F-1 visa.
Undergraduate Priority Deadline
April 1, 2015
Cohort Final Deadline
July 22, 2015
Pertains to programs with orientation dates scheduled prior to the start of the semester
Fall Final Deadline*
*Applies only to students applying to non-cohort programs and students not needing a visa. Students needing an F-1 visa need to apply earlier in the admissions cycle (see summer bridge note above).
August 12, 2015
Please see your program’s individual "Apply" page for the applicable list of materials to include in your application. Start here for the undergraduate program and the graduate programs' requirements. Outlined below are parameters for the application requirements. Not all programs require all of the items listed below. International applicants should review the International Students page for more information.
Please submit electronic materials (in doc, pdf, txt format) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit hard copy materials to
1453 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94103
When submitting your materials, please make sure that all materials clearly state your full name, and be sure to mention on your application if your transcript is listed under a different name. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing.
ONLINE APPLICATION AND NON-REFUNDABLE $65 APPLICATION FEE
Begin the application process by submitting an online undergraduate or graduate application and non-refundable $65 application fee payment. If you are unable to complete the transaction online, please call the Business Office at 415-575-6132 to pay over the phone. Applications are processed once payment is received.
We require official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate academic institutions attended, regardless of whether or not you received a degree. This includes all transcripts from any institution where you have earned 7 or more units, and transcripts from any schools that appear on your degree conferral transcript.
- US and Canadian transcripts must arrive in their official, sealed envelopes. Electronic transcripts sent directly from your academic institution can be sent to email@example.com.
- All transcripts from schools outside the United States and Canada must be sent, at the applicant's expense, to World Education Services (WES) foreign credential evaluation service. A course-by-course report* is required for all programs and will be used in lieu of the CIIS application requirement for original transcripts. CIIS accepts the WES 'Basic' report, but applicants may wish to complete the 'ICAP'.
CIIS will accept foreign credential evaluations from other services in some cases. Additional materials may be required of applicants. Please contact the Admissions Office for further clarification at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A four to six page (12 pt font, double-spaced) which includes your name and program you are applying to.
- Be sure to title the document (i.e., autobiographical statement)
- Your statement should include and introspective discussion addressing your values, emotional and spiritual insights, aspirations, and life experiences that have led to your decision to apply.
- Explanations for any low grades, withdrawals, or inconsistencies on your transcripts.
- Anything else you would like us to know.
- A one-page statement (12 pt font, double-spaced) which includes your name and program you are applying to.
- Be sure to title the document (i.e. Goal Statement)
- Your statement should include your educational and professional objectives.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
- Letters of recommendation should come from people who can speak directly to your ability to successfully undertake the program you wish to pursue (e.g. academic advisors, professors, professional supervisors, etc.).
- Recommenders should use standard business format and include full contact information-name, email, phone number, and mailing address.
- Letters can be submitted using the Letter of Recommendation form or by email to email@example.com
ACADEMIC WRITING SAMPLE
- A writing sample of eight to ten pages (12 pt font, double-spaced) which includes your name and program you are applying to.
- The sample should demonstrate your capacity to think critically and reflectively and demonstrate graduate level writing abilities.
- A sample that uses outside sources must include proper citations.
- You may submit copies of previous work, such as a recent academic paper, article, or report that reflects scholarly abilities.
RESUME OR CV
A collection of relevant career, volunteer and community involvement.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY TEST REPORT
Applicants for whom English is not their native language are required to submit an English language proficiency score. Exceptions are made for students who have earned their Bachelor of Arts degree from English language universities. Admission to CIIS requires a minimum score for one of the following exams:
- TOEFL: 80 test score. TOEFL is an Internet-based test. The CIIS TOEFL code is 4807. Visit the TOEFL website.
- Pearson's Test of English Academic (PTE): 53 test score. Visit the Pearson's website
- IELTS 6.0 band score. Visit the IELTS website.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I FILL OUT THE ONLINE APPLICATION?
Once your application has been processed, you will be issued a User ID and password for your 'MyCIIS' account via email, provided you have not previously already received one. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing. Using your new CIIS ID and password, you can log in and check on the status of your application. Please contact Portal Help if you do not receive log-in details. Forgot your Username or Password?