Apply to the Somatic Psychology Program
ADMISSION TO THE PROGRAM
The Somatic Psychology program seeks highly motivated, creative, and mature students who have demonstrated a strong interest in work with somatic understandings.
While this includes work in literature, humanities, and the social sciences, it is useful for prospective students to have had training in various somatic approaches, such as massage therapy, Feldenkrais, the Alexander technique, bioenergetics, Rosen work, massage, shiatsu, acupuncture, martial arts, dance, yoga, yoga therapy, or meditation.
Given the experiential dimension of the program, it is necessary that applicants be emotionally stable. Students must be able to cope with both the strong feelings that often emerge from somatic experiential work and the rigors of intellectual work.
This program is no longer accepting applications for the 2015 Fall Semester.
- Admissions Application
- Non-refundable $65 Application Fee
- Degree Requirement: An undergraduate degree (BA, BS, or the equivalent) from an accredited college or university.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all accredited academic institutions attended within the United States. Transcripts must arrive in their official, sealed envelopes.
- Autobiographical Statement: In four to six pages (typed, double-spaced), discuss childhood and early family experiences, and significant educational, sociocultural, or personally meaningful experiences in your later development. Describe the life experiences that led to your decision to apply to the program.
- Goal Statement: A one-page (typed, double-spaced) statement of your educational and professional objectives.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Letters of recommendation will be accepted from academic advisors, professors, professional supervisors, or someone able to attest to your ability to undertake the work required for your program. Recommenders should use standard business format and include full contact information-name, email, phone number, and mailing address.
International students and individuals who have studied at institutions outside the US and Canada may have additional requirements. Please see the International Student page for details.
The program conducts both individual and group interviews. The goal of the interviews is to ensure that there is a good fit between the student and the program, and that the student can make good use of the program's curriculum and pedagogies.
A familiarity with the field of Somatics and demonstrated experience in specific somatic modalities, such as yoga, dance, massage therapy, martial arts, Somatic Psychotherapy, and other bodywork methods.
Please visit Applying to CIIS for more information. If you have any additional questions about admissions, please contact our admissions counselor: