Integrative Health Student Learning Outcomes (April 2013)
GOAL #1: Demonstrate skill in scholarship, systematic inquiry and critical thinking.
- Apply the use of scholarly resources and related materials appropriate for the public health, environmental studies, medical anthropology, health education, and integrative medicine disciplines to understand new and useful information in the field of Integrative Health.
- Recognize health challenges and through investigation and critical thinking, achieve appropriate integrative health responses and holistic, creative solutions.
- Describe the fundamental tenets, advantages and roles of integrative health methods and solutions.
- Identify basic theories, concepts and models from a range of CAM disciplines that are used in integrative health research and practice.
- Demonstrate an ecologically-oriented approach to optimum health, based on assuring the maximum therapeutic outcome with minimum intervention, costs and resources.
GOAL #2: Demonstrate a socio-cultural sensitivity and ability to adapt health communications and programs to people of diverse populations, needs and environments.
- Identify the causes of personal, social and global factors that affect health of individuals and populations.
- Specify diverse populations and demonstrate cultural sensitivity and competence.
GOAL #3: Demonstrate professional skills in caring, service and leadership.
- Collaborate among integrative, holistic and allopathic practitioners to explore solutions to clients' health concerns.
- Extend integrative health tenets to team-centered models of client/patient care.
- Demonstrate the ability to be guided by ethical principles in integrative wellness coaching, client interaction, health information dissemination, and program design.
- Successfully complete internships in integrative health settings and apply learning to at-risk, marginalized or underserved populations.
- Successfully complete an externship in integrative wellness coaching and wellness management.
GOAL #4: Demonstrate professional and interpersonal communication skills.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, clients, and peers using correct language skills and appropriate verbal and nonverbal techniques.
- Apply psychosocial and communication skills in negotiating and harmonizing relations among diverse practitioners.
- Identify organizational assets, resources and roadblocks for integrative health interventions.
- Apply multi-interventional approaches in the development and evaluation of integrative health care that emphasizes wholeness, balance and multiple ways of knowing.
- Successfully employ a model of integrative wellness coaching and design and implement an integrative wellness management program.
GOAL #5: Demonstrate a capacity and willingness to adopt and model a holistic self-care practice, striving to integrate mind-body-spirit.
- Assess personal physical and psychological needs and develop a personal wellness program, and articulate an understanding of lifestyle choices and techniques related to development of holistic self-care practices.
- Identify the most useful approaches involving comprehensive educational, dietary, lifestyle and stress reducing strategies.
IHL Program is committed to transforming health care for optimal well-being. Our core values include a health care system that guarantees: