Network and Systems Administrator
Job Title: Network and Systems Administrator
Department: Information Technology Services
Supervisor: Director of Information Technology Services
This is a Full Time, Non-Exempt position
California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) in San Francisco is a pioneer in integrative higher education, providing interdisciplinary, cross-cultural, and applied studies in psychology, philosophy, religion, cultural anthropology, transformative studies and leadership, integrative health, and the arts. We are conveniently located in the SOMA district of San Francisco which is a quick walk from BART, Muni and other public transportation
The Network and Systems Administrator will work closely with the Sr. Network and Systems Administrator and will defer to the Sr. Network and Systems Administrator’s expertise and guidance in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
The primary responsibilities of the Network and Systems Administrator are to provide Level 2 hardware and software network and systems administration, field unresolved, escalated Level 1 Help Desk issues and escalate and track them further to the Level 3 support person as needed, coordinate helpdesk activities and monitor helpdesk tickets for potential service problems through identifying patterns occurring across separate help desk tickets and user reports, act as the primary administrator for the following systems: Anti-Virus (SEP), tape backups (BackupExec), all UPS, network cabling, desktop imaging (Ghost), patch management (WSUS and Shavlik) network printing and various departmental applications as assigned and act as backup to Sr. Network and Systems Administrator.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Systems: install critical updates for Windows server operating systems and routine systems software after careful testing. Maintains WSUS patch management system for client PCs.
- Systems: primary responsibility for Dell server hardware management - e.g. replacing failed hard drives as needed, upgrading memory, tracking support maintenance renewals, etc.
- Systems: primary responsibility for UPS management
- Systems: maintain network tape backup system and ensures tapes are delivered and returned from offsite tape storage;
- Systems: participate in planning and maintenance of disaster recovery plan
- Systems: provides - Win2003/2008 Active Directory support, including GPO management.
- Systems: maintains Windows-based DNS, DHCP, IAS, and WINS services.
- Systems: maintains centralized anti-virus system for staff and student networks.
- Systems: works with department contacts and outside vendors to support customized departmental applications including eTime, Meeting Room Maker, SecureCheck, Alphacard, Class Climate, TrackIT and others as assigned.
- Systems: provides primary Ghost/Imaging support for client PCs.
- Systems: provide primary network printing support.
- Networking: works with Help Desk technicians and outside vendors to handle all basic cabling issues.
- Networking: maintains and updates Cloudpath 802.1X wireless supplicants and backs up Help Desk in troubleshooting wireless network access issues.
- Networking: monitors wired switch port capacity, VLAN assignments, and speed/duplex issues.
- Systems and Networking: provides backup Level 3 support as needed.
- Systems and Networking: maintains relevant documentation.
- Bachelor's Degree from a four-year college or university, preferably in the field of Computer Science, or Management Information Systems.
- Relevant Microsoft, Cisco or VMware certification a plus.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working in a higher education environment is highly desired.
- 4-7 years experience administering Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 Server, including Active Directory and Group Policy management.
- Ability to work in an environment consisting of users that have a wide range of computing skills.
- Ability to maintain a positive customer service attitude.
- Ability to follow documented IT processes and best practices.
This position requires the:
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and the ability to manage repetitive hand/wrist movements while using a computer keyboard and/or the phone.
- Ability to bend, squat, stoop, and occasionally walk up several flights of stairs
Duties are primarily performed in an office environment at a desk or computer terminal, typically, Monday through Friday.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of some positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for hire. You may also be asked to provide evidence of educational degree(s), present a valid and clean driver’s license and any other licenses that may be pertinent to the position.
Click on the link to apply: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=524375.
Please submit your resume and cover as one document when prompted.
CIIS is committed to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for all individuals across differences of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio-economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or medical condition. We seek to increase the presence, representation and inclusion of U.S. historically under-represented people of color, international, bilingual and bicultural students, faculty and staff.