Manager of Educational Technology and Online Services
Job Title: Manager of Educational Technology
Department: Academic Affairs
Reports to: Director of Online Learning
FLSA Status: Exempt Full-Time position
Application Closing Date: August 4, 2014
Anticipated Start Date: September 8, 2014 or earlier
California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) is an accredited undergraduate and graduate university with an enrollment of 1,400 students, 70 core faculty, 125 adjunct faculty, and 110 staff. The Manager of Educational Technology is responsible for all aspects of educational technology support and development: leadership, administration, supervision and instructional design. The Manager works collaboratively with faculty and staff colleagues to: ensure an optimal pedagogical experience in the online learning platform; provide continual enhancement of instructional design as courses evolve from face-to-face format to hybrid and online formats; coordinate the learning management platform with other forms of Institute technology and media; and develop policies, procedures, and processes related to online learning spaces.
The successful candidate will not only have the requisite experience and expertise but be an effective communicator who works comfortably with faculty and students and who fosters collaborative relationships with members of the university community. The Manager must advance a ‘can-do' service-focused culture and subscribe to a collegial, transparent style of management consistent with practices at CIIS. The Manager will provide the innovative and visionary leadership to enhance the Institute's online profile.
• Support core and adjunct faculty by providing the tools and training that enable maximal use of technology to enhance the learning experience, whether in face-to-face, hybrid, or online formats. Work with instructors on all phases of instructional design: analysis, development, implementation, evaluation, and revision.
• Conduct ongoing workshops, individual and group training for faculty in the identification of online pedagogical strategies and the development of instructional materials and methods.
• Conduct ongoing workshops, individual and group training for faculty in the use of Institute-supported learning management systems. Assist faculty in learning about and utilizing the online learning platforms' varied capabilities.
• Coordinate with the Director of Online Learning, the Director of Information Technology Services and ITS staff on the identification and procurement of appropriate instructional technology hardware and software, and on integrating educational technology capabilities with institutional technology applications and social media.
• Keep abreast of new developments and research in online education, and share this information with faculty as appropriate.
• Research and test solutions to instructional technology needs that are effective in meeting program goals and student learning outcomes.
• Conduct individual and group training for students on the use of Institute-supported learning management systems.
• Provide technological assistance to students registered in online course spaces by providing direct technical support.
• Respond promptly to online students' concerns, and takes appropriate actions based on these concerns.
• Ensure that the online environment is structured for compliance with FERPA, copyright, ADA, and other regulatory statutes and practices.
• Coordinate student registrations in online course offerings with the Registrar's Office, as needed.
• Train, supervise, and evaluate support staff, and ensure an efficient and transparent division of responsibilities between the director and support staff.
• A master's degree preferred in a field related to educational technology.
• Minimum of five years of professional experience in a higher education setting.
• Online teaching experience, preferably at the graduate level.
• Demonstrated expertise in instructional design theory and application.
• Familiarity with current standards and best practices of educational technology and online learning
• Demonstrated success in collaborating widely with faculty and staff to achieve organizational goals
• Ability to lead and participate skillfully in group decision making and work as a team member in a highly collegial organizational culture.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply FERPA, copyright, ADA, and other compliance practices.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing.
• Excellent customer service skills: patience, integrity, flexibility, and creativity.
• Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekend days.
• Commitment to the equitable delivery of services to an academic community comprised of a diversity of socioeconomic status, ability, cultural, ethnic, and racial backgrounds, nationalities, and sex, sexuality and gender diversity as supported in the Institute's mission, vision, and Ten Principles of Community.
Commensurate with experience.
In this position you will receive two weeks of paid vacation to start, approximately 20 paid holidays per year, and two weeks sick leave. CIIS also offers an array of health benefits including medical, dental, vision, FSA, commuter benefits, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance, 401k, tuition remission, and more.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
This position requires the ability to:
• sit for extended periods of time and the ability to manage repetitive hand/wrist movements while using a computer keyboard and/or the phone.
• bend, squat, stoop, and occasionally walk up several flights of stairs
• lift and/or carry up to 10lbs, occasionally
Duties are primarily performed in an office environment at a desk or computer typically, Monday through Friday.
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position. If your job requires driving on behalf of CIIS you will be required to provide proof of a valid driver's license.
To apply for this position you must do the following:
1. Click on the link to Apply: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=9860271
2. Submit your resume and cover letter as one document when prompted.
Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
CIIS strongly pursues diversity in its hiring practices. Diversity refers to the variety of experiences and perspectives which arise from differences in race, culture, spiritual practice/religion, physical abilities, heritage, appearance, age, gender, sexual orientation, social class, nationality, and other characteristics.
CIIS values and promotes diversity because it enhances academic excellence, the educational experience, and the learning environment. CIIS believes equal opportunity for all students, faculty and staff is essential to successfully achieving our mission.