Position: Lobby Receptionist
Department: Facilities and Operations
Supervisor: Operations Manager
This is a full time, non exempt position
California Institute of Integral Studies (www.ciis.edu) is an accredited institution of higher education that strives to embody spirit, intellect, and wisdom in service to individuals, communities and the Earth. The Institute expands the boundaries of traditional degree programs with interdisciplinary, cross-cultural, and applied studies in psychology, philosophy, religion, cultural anthropology, transformative learning and leadership, integrative health, and the arts. Offering a personal learning environment and supportive community, CIIS provides an extraordinary education for people committed to transforming themselves and the world.
The receptionist position is a highly visible one, requiring a welcoming and professional presence and the capacity to handle detailed administrative duties thoroughly and efficiently.
The work hours for this position are fixed, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. You will not be considered if you are unable to work this schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greets visitors, students, faculty, and staff entering the lobby.
- Receives visitors and directs them to the appropriate floor/person/area.
- Answers the main phone line and redirects calls as needed using a multi-line phone.
- Keeps informed of changes at the Institute and makes the information available to internal and external customers.
- Becomes familiar with, and executes established University Emergency Procedures; relays information to appropriate personnel and/or outside emergency services.
- Performs morning opening procedures for Institute beginning at 8:00AM.
- Works with and covers for the 1st floor security officer as needed. Duties include enforcing University ID policy - checking photo IDs, signing visitors into guest log, managing visitor parking and bike lots, and enforcing departmental procedures and policies.
- Performs a variety of clerical duties as assigned by Departmental staff, such as maintaining databases, phone lists, floor plans, directories, etc.
- Monitors office supplies inventory, reordering and stocking as needed.
- Provides assistance for audio/visual and setups for special events in lobby. This may include stacking and moving lobby chairs, lobby tables, and AV equipment such as speakers on tripods.
- Duties may include processing outbound mail, trouble shooting copiers, and any related tasks.
- Assume additional duties as requested.
- Must be able to work fixed 8:00am-4:00pm, Monday through Friday schedule.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be punctual, reliable, and well organized.
- Must work well under pressure.
- Must be able to return to specific work tasks, while experiencing frequent interruptions.
- Must take initiative; be self-directed, organized, responsible and efficient and be able to work without close supervision.
- Must be able to handle complex and routine situations with professionalism, courtesy and efficiency.
- Must be proficient in Word, Excel, and Outlook email / calendar.
- Willingness to improve upon current practices and procedures.
- Warmth of personality and good listening skills are a plus.
- Must be able to work well, in close proximity, to the security officers who also staff the lobby reception desk.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Preferred: Bachelor's degree from a four year college or university
- 1-2 years related experience and/or training; or the equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the job title in the subject line of your email.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
CIIS strongly pursues diversity in its hiring practices. Diversity refers to the variety of experiences and perspectives which arise from differences in race, culture, spiritual practice/religion, physical abilities, heritage, appearance, age, gender, sexual orientation, social class, nationality, and other characteristics.
CIIS values and promotes diversity because it enhances academic excellence, the educational experience, and the learning environment. CIIS believes equal opportunity for all students, faculty and staff is essential to successfully achieving our mission.