Core Faculty - Human Sexuality PhD Program
Core Faculty - Human Sexuality PhD Program
POSITION: Core Faculty
DEPARTMENT: School of Professional Psychology and Health
California Institute of Integral Studies is an accredited institution of higher education that strives to embody spirit, intellect, and wisdom in service to individuals, communities, and the Earth. The Institute expands the boundaries of traditional degree programs with interdisciplinary, cross-cultural, and applied studies in psychology, philosophy, religion, cultural anthropology, transformative learning and leadership, integrative health, and the arts. Offering a personal learning environment and supportive community, CIIS provides an extraordinary education for people.
The PhD program in Human Sexuality at CIIS is expanding its faculty. Applications open immediately for an experienced core faculty member who offers a dynamic and integral approach to teaching, and has a modern and diverse sexual literacy in policy and/or clinical fields.
Housed within the School of Professional Psychology and Health at CIIS, the PhD in Human Sexuality is unique in providing for clinical and policy understanding of human beings (LGBTQ people, heterosexual women, and heterosexual men), in the most diverse and fluid spectrum of sexual and gender variations across the life course, including desires and orientations, identities, behaviors and expressions. This vision includes psychosexual development and functioning, intimate relationships, families, spirituality, and well-being, as reflected in sexual, gender and reproductive health, rights, and policies. The program aspires to shape the inter-professional dialogue between clinical practitioners and sexuality policy leaders in the 21st century.
The core faculty member will be entering into this position during the end of the first active school year, working with an existing faculty group and a variety of stellar PhD students. There are two major roles that the core faculty member will be responsible for:
Teaching and Course Development
The core faculty is responsible for teaching 3 courses per semester at a PhD level. This includes course development that offers readings and research that is representative of a diverse range of viewpoints and experiences. Teaching will be for both online courses and hybrid courses (meeting two-three times in person with the remaining coursework online). An example of some potential courses are, "Introduction to Human Sexuality," Dissertation Seminar," "Sexuality and Spirituality," and "Sex, Love and Intimate Relationships."
Faculty and Administrative Support Role
The Core Faculty Member will be responsible for attending faculty meetings and act as a supportive role for the Director and adjunct faculty in course planning and structure.
- PhD in the social/behavioral sciences, clinical psychology, public health or other appropriate field.
- The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge and skill sets in human sexuality, and an ability to see the vision that connects policy, practice, and research to the advancement of sexual literacy in the US and globally.
In reviewing applications, the committee will place high value on:
- Inspiring and effective teaching skills, and dedication to online teaching.
- Cultural and linguistic competency
- Scientific and academic research and publications commensurate with professorial position
- Proven interdisciplinary background and orientation in the field of human sexuality
- Dedication to integral education
- Commitment to directing dissertations on a broad range of topics.
- An interest in the discourse and practices of leadership.
- Competence teaching a range of qualitative research methods.
- Scholarly publications, a research agenda, and engaged scholarship related to personal and/or social transformation.
- Participation in program administrative responsibilities.
- Academic experiences and interests in culturally diverse groups desired.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please send a succinct letter (not to exceed two pages) of interest that lays out your interest, qualifications, and appropriate experience along with a CV, a sample syllabus, a published article, and the names of three references to:
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT POLICY
CIIS strongly pursues diversity in its hiring practices. Diversity refers to the variety of experiences and perspectives which arise from differences in race, culture, spiritual practice/religion, physical abilities, heritage, appearance, age, gender, sexual orientation, social class, nationality, and other characteristics.
CIIS values and promotes diversity because it enhances academic excellence, the educational experience, and the learning environment. CIIS believes equal opportunity for all students, faculty and staff is essential to successfully achieving our mission.