Career Development and Community Service Coordinator
Job Title: Career Development and Community Service Coordinator
Department: Dean of Students
Supervisor: Dean of Students
Status: This is a non exempt, half time position
The Career Development and Community Service Coordinator works closely with the Dean of Students and with the School of Consciousness and Transformation (SCT) faculty, staff, and students to provide career services and to coordinate internships and community service experiences for students in SCT. The coordinator assists students in developing career-related skills, supports students in identifying relevant career, internship, and volunteer opportunities related to their academic interests, and serves as the primary resource for students, faculty and community members regarding community service engagement through the CIIS Center for Beloved Community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advises and consults with students on career options, internship, and volunteer opportunities
- Provides consultation on effective vitas, resumes, bios, cover letters, and preparation for interviews.
- Identifies and coordinates community service learning and internship opportunities for students in consultation with program directors and faculty.
- Coordinates professional development workshops, seminars and support groups for SCT students.
- Keeps abreast of current trends in career services, internships, and volunteerism and incorporates best practices into CIIS’ career and community service programs.
- Researches, organizes, and distributes economic and employment trend data
- Publicizes career, internship, and volunteer information within the CIIS community via CareerLink, Pathway, Caucus, listservs, bulletin boards, and social media sites.
- Serves as a primary resource to community members and organizations to link mutually beneficial service activities with CIIS students and faculty while establishing greater visibility of CIIS’ presence in the greater San Francisco area and actively recruits students for participation in community service activities
- Develops and maintain a database that tracks student community service hours and activities and market and maintain career and community service opportunities in MyCIIS, CIIS CareerLink, and www.ciis.edu websites
- Creates and distributes a newsletter that updates the CIIS community on jobs, community service initiatives, profiles students engaged in community service, and highlights upcoming opportunities to get involved in community service
- Designs and delivers a community service orientation program for all students planning to engage in service through the institute
- Coordinates a Community Service & Career Fair in the Spring semester that enables students to interact with community partners and learn about service and job opportunities
- Coordinates reflective discussion with students engaged in service
- Acts as a liaison between CIIS and California Campus Compact: assist with hosting joint events, draw on CACC resources (articles, programs, etc.) that will enhance CIIS community service program, and develop/maintain a “Students in Service” program for students interested in receiving Americorps Education Only Award
- Works with and supports faculty in incorporating Service Learning into their curricula
- Provides workshops and other training for faculty who seek assistance with incorporating service-learning into their curricula vCoordinates community visits for faculty, students, and staff to participate in service activities and community events
- Creates resource list of websites for jobs and volunteer opportunities.
- Develops and maintains bi-weekly jobs and community service digest and related listservs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Entrepreneurial and non-profit experience desirable
- Masters degree in Humanities, Counseling, Student Affairs, or related field,
- Minimum 3-5 years professional experience.
- Experience working with resume/cover letter and job search preparation strategies and techniques.
- Ability to develop, implement, evaluate and oversee career service related workshops.
- High level of personal initiative.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to details and ability to multi-task.
- Collaborative work style and strategic thinker.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of career development issues and employment research skills.
- Familiarity with Bay Area placement resources, including non-profits and employment resource organizations.
- Proficiency in WORD, EXCEL and PowerPoint. Comfortable using Internet, databases, and social media sites.
- Willing and able to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Access to dependable vehicle and a valid California driver's license for occasional off- campus events. /li>
- Familiarity with the vision, mission and orientation of the academic programs within CIIS’s SCT program
- Demonstrated advising experience with advanced degree seeking candidates
Click on the link to apply: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=7010971
NOTE TO CANDIDATE:
This position requires the ability to:
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and the ability to manage repetitive hand/wrist movements while using a computer keyboard and/or the phone.
- Ability to bend, squat, stoop, and occasionally walk up several flights of stairs.
- Ability to lift and/or carry up to 10lbs, occasionally.
Duties are primarily performed in an office environment at a desk or computer terminal, typically, Monday through Friday.
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position. If your job requires driving on behalf of CIIS you will be required to provide proof of a valid driver’s license.
Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
CIIS strongly pursues diversity in its hiring practices. Diversity refers to the variety of experiences and perspectives which arise from differences in race, culture, spiritual practice/religion, physical abilities, heritage, appearance, age, gender, sexual orientation, social class, nationality, and other characteristics.
CIIS values and promotes diversity because it enhances academic excellence, the educational experience, and the learning environment. CIIS believes equal opportunity for all students, faculty and staff is essential to successfully achieving our mission.