SUPPORT AND ADVICACY
The Greening CIIS Committee seeks to uphold the Institute's ideals of supporting community and advocating feminism and sustainability by making CIIS an environmentally responsible institute of higher learning, and providing educational and social events that encourage environmental awareness and more sustainable resource usage practices among staff, faculty and students.
The Greening CIIS Committee acknowledges that environmental citizenship is an ongoing process. The committee is committed to growing its base of dedicated faculty, staff, and students by encouraging the larger CIIS community to join the effort to align CIIS with sustainable and equitable environmental policy.
A socially responsible and environmentally friendly business operating inside CIIS.
- Serves local, organic, and vegan foods
- Emphasizes fair-trade and socially responsible products
- Uses 100 percent biodegradable to-go wares and diverts most consumer trash to compost
- Features Ayurvedic vegan Indian curries, daal, and more
- Open Monday through Friday from 8 am.– 8 pm; varying weekend hours
Read more about the eco-friendly CIIS café and its manager Siobhan McCleary.
RESOURCE REDUCTION FACTS
- As of November 2007, CIIS used between 7,000 and 8,000 pieces of paper per day
- Every day American businesses generate enough paper to circle the Earth 28 times
- Converting trees to paper takes water, energy and chemicals, leaving a BIG footprint
- 40 percent of office paper ends up in landfills
- Change the default setting on your printer/copier from single-sided to double-sided
- Scan documents and send by email instead of printing/copying
- Bring reusable utensils, containers, napkins and mugs for use at school
- Buy used: For instance, try thrift stores/Craigslist before you go to IKEA for that shelf or table
- Use a refillable water bottle instead of buying a new bottle
- If you own a car, keep it maintained. By keeping your car maintained, you can increase its effiency by up to 10 percent
SF BIKE COALITION
Biking is an easy and efficient way to reach CIIS. Learn more.
COMMENTS OR SUGGESTONS?
Would you like to contribute to the Go Green newsletter? E-mail email@example.com.